Happy Father's Day to all the dads, and boy do I have something special for you today! If there's one thing dads like, it's a good bargain. What dad doesn't want to save a little money? I know I do. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm one of the cheapest guys around, so take it from me--I would not be encouraging you to be lovers of espresso and espresso-based drinks if there wasn't a cost-effective way to do it. So how do we enjoy a luxury such as fine espresso in a cost-effective manner?
By far the most economical way to enjoy espresso and espresso-based drinks is to make it and drink it at home. A quick calculation reveals that a $3 latte purchased daily outside the home five days per week will cost you $60/month or $720/year to consume. That's a fairly conservative estimate. If you buy yourself a machine (a company like Nespresso makes a very easy-to-use, automatic machine) for $300 and make espresso in your home for $.70/day, your yearly total is $482, and that's just the first year including the price of the machine. Your second year of drinking espresso at home costs only $182. So it's clear that doing it yourself is the way to go for cost, but wait there's more! Then there's the benefit of dazzling your friends with a beautifully frothed cappuccino served in your living room. Imagine the glory, the prestige, the elegance. You: "Can I interest you in a cappuccino or perhaps a macchiato?" Your guest: "I would love a cappuccino...(pause)...would you like to have our season tickets to (insert favorite sports team or performance space). That's a just a small example of the power of fine coffee. Try it for yourself. You won't be disappointed. So this is my gift to you dads of the world--I offer you the possibility of remaining true to your penny-pinching principles without sacrificing your classy self. You CAN have it both ways. Tightwad and Man of the World. The world is your oyster. Slurp it up.
